Burn Permits logo

Township of Douro-Dummer Burn Permits

Apply for your online permit today.

Department Logo or Badge

Don't forget to call!

Toll-free: 1-844-971-1121

This is generally a good time to have an open-air fire with little risk of fire spread.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the cost of a burn permit?

The most common burn permit is the residential burn permit. It allow the user to have multiple types of fire on one property for $20/year. This type of permit includes campfires, burn barrels, residential brush fires and agricultural fires. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to ensure they are in compliance with By-law 2020-35. For more information and other permits types visit www.dourodummer.on.ca/services-departments/fire-department/burning-permit/

Why is there a fee for permits?

Douro-Dummer Fire Services has adopted a new burn permit system that better communicates fire risk and burn bans to the public. In addition, this new system is accessible online, so residents can obtain a permit from the comfort of their home or cottage, even outside of business hours. The cost of the permit pays for the system we are using and any surplus will go into a Wildland Firefighting reserve to help pay for future operational response and/or equipment.

Do I need a permit?

If you want to have an open-air fire (bonfire, campfire, brush fire, etc.) then you need an approved permit. If you are using an appliance such as a propane or natural gas BBQ or fire table then a permit is not required.

What can I burn?

Only wood, wood by-products (cardboard, paper, etc.) and leaves may be burned.

How can I obtain a burn permit?

Burn permits can be obtained by creating an account on this website and purchasing your permit online with a credit card. You can also visit us in person at the Municipal Office or the Douro-Dummer Public Library to register and pay for your permit(s). Cash, cheque and debit are accepted at these two locations. Permits are not valid until paid.

Is there an option for farmers?

If you are a farmer and need to obtain a burn permit to support farming activities on multiple properties, please contact Jess McArthur directly for assistance at (705) 652-8392 x 212 or jessykam@dourodummer.on.ca